Ongoing hot weather combined with low water levels are resulting in high water temperatures in rivers and streams across Southern Alberta.
There is an increased risk to fish populations resulting from the stress of current conditions combined with catch and release angling. Until conditions improve, Albertans are encouraged to follow safe handling procedures to minimize fish mortality.
While anglers should be mindful throughout the Southern Alberta region, extra caution should be taken in the following areas:
- Belly River downstream of Secondary Road 800;
- Waterton River downstream of Waterton Reservoir;
- St. Mary and tributaries downstream of St. Mary Reservoir;
- Sheep River from Gorge Creek downstream to Highwood River;
- Highwood River from Kananaskis Country Boundary downstream to the mouth of Bow River; and
- Bow River from the Western Irrigation District weir to Bassano Dam.
- Fish in stocked ponds and lakes;
- Fish early in the mornings; and
- Minimize handling time and release fish as quickly as possible.
source: Alberta Government